Sunday, June 3, 2012

A Weekend Post

For a month and a half, I've been looking toward to this weekend with dread. In the world of the CSU-sters like myself, it's known as week nine of the ten week quarter (or as I like to call it, second-to-worst week). It's all grading and writing and worrying and student conferences and grading before the final week of class. And it can be traumatic, my friends. I tried to make it easier on myself by having some student conferences last Thursday and Friday. Have you ever had student conferences? They're that magical moment in the quarter when your students actually start to give a crap. Also, it's that time when it's just a little too late for them to start caring. You have to say things like, "well, I think the words you've made up here might not fly for your final draft" or "I hate to say it, but if you want to pass college English, these subjects and verbs are going to have to agree."

So, there was that. But here's the wondrous thing: this weekend was truly delightful. I know. I'm as surprised as you are. There was puppy snuggling:


And there was a Saturday off (a Saturday off?!) from the job which freed up some laundry time:


Did you know you can take your dog to Silver Lake Suds? You can! And you can take your laptop for paper-grading purposes, too. 

Additionally, there was date night. Too much Mexican food (¡Ay! Lo siento, estómago mío...) followed by an unproductive trip to the ArcLight where we did not end up seeing Moonrise Kingdom on account of we couldn't get two seats next to each other. My apologies, misters Murray and Anderson.

Instead we went across the street to Amoeba where we came home with a handful of bargain dvds. (What is the blue ray?)


I had every intention of enjoying Steve McQueen and rocky road. Instead, I slumbered in the arms of my dog. And now we've come full circle.

5 comments:

Jen said...

Good to see you working those Spanish skills.

I miss Jefe and Don Antonio.

Gretta Whalen said...

Oh my gosh, Jen. My spanish skill are muy embarrasada...wait...

Jenn said...

I'm glad you enjoyed your weekend! You deserve it, sister...especially after working on your paper (extra early, mind you) and after being truly exceptional at doing everything. Don't you even THINK of brushing off that compliment, lady. I spit da truth. See you tomorrow.

Gretta Whalen said...

Ah, Jenn. You are a brilliant, blinding light from heaven.

ash said...

You've hit the home stretch! I know you're going to finish brilliantly. Good luck!