Friday, January 27, 2012

Jack and White: Cute Overload

My journalism career was a flash in the pan that I usually view with mixed emotions. On the one hand, I was happy to see it go (Hollywood journalism did not grab my writerly ta-tas, if you will). But on the other hand, I sometimes miss being Gretta Parkinson, intrepid girl reporter to the beautiful people. Just kidding. What? Who said that? Did it just get hot in here?

The most fun I did get to have back in my scrivener days was while writing features for Eliza Magazine (super cool project, IMhumbleO) which is helmed by the painfully stylish Summer Bellesa. One of these features was a cover story on Brooke White. Perhaps you've heard of her? She's only, like, the most precious, bespectacled, blondie in the American Idol-alum Sea of Great Talent. And can I just say to you, she is as lovely and pleasant and eye-squintingly shiny as a person could possibly be. Truly! A real treat.

Not that she's had a lot of time these days, what with her music and and entertainment career (Girls With Glasses, anyone?), but this week, she's releasing the EP for her new project Jack and White. Check out their new video for Night After Night:



I'm not going to lie...I'm a little bit of music snob. But let me tell you what I hear: a super sing-able hook and two ultra-blendable voices. I love the way Jack and Brooke sound together—almost like the harmonies are coming out of the same sqwak-box! And I'm pretty in to the indie pop/male-female duo sound myself (what can I say? Maybe it's because it matches my own pipe-like dreams...). To me, these kids are a bit reminiscent of Pomplamoose or the Weepies, but with their very own raw, Jack and White-ish edge.

Check out their Youtube page yourself and give them a listen. Then let me know what you think in the comments. I mean, if you want. It is a free country, after all. Alls I'm saying is, you might just love it so hard that your cheeks get sore from all the grinning.

3 comments:

Jenn said...

Love, love, love! Great find, Gretta!

Anonymous said...

really cute group, thanks for sharing.

Zen Mama said...

It's good for me to hear things like this everyone once in a while lest I think most new musicians are vapid, undisciplined, stagehogs. (See? You aren't the only music snob around. Maybe that's why we're friends.) This was nice, this I could actually listen to and relax. :-)

(argh! blogger is doing that stupid thing again!)