Friday, May 7, 2010

Mushroom people.

See that cute lady right there? That's my mom. I love her because she birthed me, she kept me alive, and she helped me make sure my shoelaces were precisely the same length* before she slapped my bum and shoved me off to kindergarten. She taught me how to read music with flashcards, how to perform, and how to graciously accept compliments when you think you don't deserve them. She has tolerated me in my most intolerable times, like the time I kept her awake all night before my purple belt test because I was too nervous to sleep, or the time I wailed from my bedroom window on Sepulveda Blvd. for someone to "pleeeease help me!" because she'd sent me there for being naughty.

Because of this lady I like cats even though I hate the idea of them and I love dogs even though I hate the smell of them. She saddled me with what is apparently a genetic obsession with miniatures, potato chips, good grades, and wild mushrooms.

My mom is one of those people that has so much talent, it's rude. People always tell you that everyone has her strengths and weaknesses, and you totally believe them until you meet my mom and find out she's a world class musician and painter and gourmet chef and she's brilliant AND she's pretty AND she's nice and her only flaw in the world is that she takes too long to order at restaurants. A flaw which I totally inherited, and which is infinitely less endearing in me.

I'm glad she decided to have kids instead of become a famous violinist. I wouldn't have wanted a different mom. I like being a mushroom person.

*I've got problems.


7 comments:

Joanna said...

Aw!

Lauren said...

this is lovely. your mom sounds like an awesome lady (who, may i add, raised an equally awesome daughter).

Amelia said...

Let's just pretend that I CO-wrote this post. This pretty much pwns my mother's day present.

RMCarter said...

I can see so much resemblance in you and your mom. What a wonderful tribute!!

Hilary said...

I'm glad that your mom birthed you too.

Welcome to Show Up Naked With Food said...

love this post. love your mom. love mushrooms. love you.

Cliff said...

I agree with every word of this post about our lovely mom. Good job seester. Cleeck.