In other news, Rob and I just got back from a totally crazy, super fun, little bit soggy trip to the Big Apple. Rob had some work to do at the Nettwerk office and I had a generous dad with extra skymiles and some time to kill. Here's what we did:
- Spent some time at Rockefeller Center with a hoarde of teenaged, mustachioed (even the ladies) Portuguese tourists.
- Listened to an organ recital at St. Patrick's Cathedral after lighting a candle for St. Jude on behalf of my lost-cause older brother (bless you, Cliffy).
- Explored the eclectic shops in SoHo. And by shops I mean toy stores. Because we are children.
- Hit up Dylan's Candy Bar on the Upper East Side. (They gots candy in the floors!)
- Had dinner on the Upper West Side at City Grill with Nick, followed by dessert featuring special guest star, the best brownie sundae ever.
- Got caught in the freezing rain on Canal St.
- Saw 'The Great Buck Howard.'
- Ate delicious pizza in the East Village at a place called Bite Me Best.
- Went to the airport only to be delayed, delayed again, then bumped from our flight.
- Called every hotel in our price range to stay for the next two nights until the next available flight back to LA.
- Split a cab back to Brooklyn with an Army Dentist named Owen.
- Had matzoh ball soup and a pastrami sandwich at Katz's Deli.
- Walked across the Brooklyn Bridge.
- Went back to the airport, only to be turned away again.
- Finally got back to LA on Sunday afternoon.
Top of the Rock
The moral of the story is: never fly Delta. That, and if you have to pee before a 5 1/2 hour flight, you'd better just do it.
And the MasterCard price breakdown for the 2009 NYC Adventure is...
Two pounds of goodies from Dylan's—$20
Four days worth of Metro and Air Train cards—$50
One unexpected night's stay at the Brooklyn Marriott—$240
The chance to see the handiwork of New York's finest smart ass on this billboard in the subway...